Articles We Want
History Behind Game of Thrones is open to any of the following:
- Any article about the historical or literary aspects of the Game of Thrones TV show or the A Song of Ice and Fire series of novels. One of our goals is to make history exciting, accessible, and easy-to-understand.
- Intelligent, thought-provoking, well-written articles about characters, themes, or philosophical issues associated with the show or novels. We like controversy! Stir the pot please.
- Popular history articles about any of the time periods that Game of Thrones/ASOIAF draw upon (for example, the Wars of the Roses, the Hundred Years War, Byzantium, the Vikings, the Tudors, and any other period listed on this site).
- Interviews with historians — especially when they write books on history that relates to Game of Thrones/ASOIAF.
- The occasional article about other historical dramas and movies that may be of interest to Game of Thrones fans.
Ideally, articles do not contain book spoilers (events that have not yet occurred on the TV show) or discuss events in the books that have not yet aired. We prefer original articles that are written in a journalistic / popular-history style and contain some light footnotes or links to sources. Please see here for more details.
Unfortunately, we cannot pay for articles. We can, however, provide exposure for published and aspiring writers. We are always happy to help promote contributors’ books and believe our Alexa rank and traffic make us a compelling venue for authors. Published authors, please see our information kit.
We endeavor to deliver high-quality historical content to our readers, so please be aware that acceptance is selective and competitive. We prefer historians, published authors, bloggers, and other experienced writers. However, we love receiving queries from anyone with enthusiasm, regardless of your writing experience.
Drop Us a Line Before Sending Us An Article
Please query before submitting any articles to make sure we don’t have something similar in the works, and include the following in your query:
- The proposed subject of your query and a rough idea of how long your article will be (in pages or word count). We prefer articles from 800-2500 words.
- A link to a sample of your writing (for example, a blog or published article).
Please be aware that articles may be edited for brevity, style, content, or grammar. All submissions become the property of History Behind Game of Thrones unless other arrangements are made. In general, reprint rights are no problem upon request.
To query, email jamiedotadairathistorygot.com.